Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Jam

Erik and I felt very "special" and domestic as we made our first batch of jam ever. And to make it from something growing in our very own backyard was pretty cool too. Well, maybe not cool but at least neat. :)

These are figs. We pluck them from a tree in our backyard. Personally, I'm not a fan of figs straight from the tree so I was crossing my fingers the jam would be better.


This is our equipment we scurried around Wal-Mart to find.


It looks gross. Probably tastes gross at this point too but I didn't try it.


Erik stirred and stirred the concoction. It seemed to take forever!


We followed directions faithfully and hoped that it all sealed.


It looks good and tastes better. Although we sweeten our jam with apple juice instead of sugar so it really tastes like fig/apple jam. Maybe that's why I like it. Oh well. I have to eat it since we're overflowing in jam at this point.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

wow! Never thought of making fig jam before-- but very resourceful;)

I am so OVER canning right now. Strawberry Jam (4 kinds!), Mixed Berry Jam, Raspberry Jam, Blueberry Jam, Rasperry chocolate sauce, Pickles, and last night pepper jelly. Still have tomatoes, salsa, and peached. Good grief!

Cecilee said...

So cool! I am very impressed! I've never heard of fig jam.... Good job.

camille said...

I just wanted to say that I'm jealous of your stove top. It looks really professional-chefish

Valeni said...

Good for you guys for making jam with your own figs....wow, Grandma Leavitt would approve! They used figs a lot in the old days in southern Utah. Can't wait to try some when we come to visit. thanks for posting. It's so good to see you and your kitchen. It looks really nice!