This has been a rough year for my sweet Preston. To start off, he started school in Portland in September. It was only "half day" but it was more like "we'll babysit your kids for a couple hours and send them back". 8:30 to 11 am was a total joke. Not to mention he NEVER had any homework of any kind. I had to come up with my own homework for him. I think the last thing Preston needs is me in charge of his higher learning! :)
Right before we moved, I had a parent/teacher conference with Preston's teacher. She told me that he's doing really good....a little behind in his reading and sight words but he's catching up really fast. Okay. Sounds good.
Fast forward to our move to Arizona. We get him enrolled in his current school, which we have to drive 20 minutes to get to since we were living with Erik's sister for awhile, and he's immediately at a disadvantage. Not only is it a full day, which I love by the way, but they started in August....a full month before Preston. But I was told that he was doing good, right?
Wrong. The second day he was there, his teacher comes up to me and says "I'm concerned". Uh-oh. She then proceeds to tell me that he's not even registering on any level. He doesn't know anything. Now I feel like a total failure as a parent but I'm also ticked at his teacher in Portland. What the heck was all this talk about doing great and catching up?
Okay. Get over it and work on the problem. Preston then had homework every night. Books sent home with him. A lot of tears of frustration. A lot of high-fives for his successes. One very sad call from school begging me to come and get him. So many prayers for him.
It's hard to watch your child struggle and all you can do is push and pray.
At the end of the year all the kids are given a test to see where they are for the next year. We were all nervous. Me, Erik, Preston, and his teacher. He took the test.
Here we have Preston starting school not even registering at any level in reading, phonograms, and sightwords to not only surpassing the benchmark in all the areas but scoring the highest in recognizing phonograms! We were all so excited!
Preston has worked so hard and came so far in such a short amount of time. He's reading so well is doing first grade work like a pro!
Congratulations Preston! You are a force to be reckoned with and you have proven that there isn't anything you can't do!

4 comments:
Tell Preston I said Congratulations! Isn't school so hard? I would never want to go back and do all of that again. Its hard to hear about the tough time he had, but so good to hear that he made it through and did so well in the end. And congrats to you and Erik for getting through it too.
Congrats Preston!!!
That is pretty sad about Portland. I was always hearing about how we lived in the "best school district" in the area. I guess it is good that we all moved away from there... other than the fact that we don't get to hang out anymore. :)
That is so awesome! That must have been so frustating at first..every school is so different and I have worried about that considering Brianna went to THREE this year! argh. But, it really is so amazing how kids can adapt and have so much tolerance for chance--even if they need a little push:)
Why can't WE be like that?
Just reading through your news again and saw I didn't congratulate Preston for all his great progress this year. So glad he is doing well at indoor soccer too. Hope to see some pictures of that soon. Love you all
Post a Comment