Saturday, June 26, 2010

My Husband Likes To Hike

It's been a while since I've posted something. We have been doing some things so it's not for a lack or anything to blog about....just honest and pure laziness. But I decided that we can't go the whole month of June without one post. Here is our first hiking adventure since our move to sunny Arizona.

On Memorial weekend, we were trying to think of something to do. Erik's first response (always) is hiking or camping or a combination of the two. I've been fairly opposed to such outings until recently due to consistent whining and crying and wanting to be held by two little boys when we used to attempt to hike. Notice the word attempt.

This time I thought, why not. They should be old enough to last through a hike and then we'd just have to carry Makayla. I gave my approval of a hike and sent Erik off to plan it.

Now I've learned that around here, there is really no variation in weather. It's either hot, hotter, or I'm the freaking wicked witch of the west melting. And by Memorial Day weekend we were to hotter ( a high of 101 degrees for the day).

We gathered our supplies (food, water, sunscreen, water, hats, sunscreen, hiking shoes, sunglasses, and oh yeah water and sunscreen) and we got up early to set out for our hike.

Erik decided on a little place called Picacho Peak. Here's some fascinating info about Picacho Peak: It is the where the most western battle was fought during the Civil War and Erik informed me that it's pronounced Pee-ka-choe and not Pikachu as in the Pokemon character. I don't know why I kept calling it that.

Our journey begins. I think our trail was about 1.5 or 2 miles.

One of many rests up the trail.

We didn't make it all the way up since it got pretty steep but we were soooo close.

Climbing back down. This is just to show that I was actually there and to show off my awesome pastey white legs. :)


Even though she was carried the entire time she was still exhausted.


Untitled from Rachel Witbeck on Vimeo.


And Preston lost his mind.


All the kids did awesome! No one cried or fell or made me want to pull out my hair. I'll definitely be more inclined to do this again....just don't tell Erik.


3 comments:

Carrie said...

so fun! But good gosh-- I have no idea how you deal with the heat. I am such a wimp when it comes to hot weather. I guess it doesn't bother these GA boys.

Valeni said...

So fun to see this post Rachel. Wow, you guys are brave to hike in the hot weather! The kids are looking so cute and grown up. Especially Preston. Can't wait to see you all in person!

Cecilee said...

LOVED The C&C Music Factory dance party in the car! Especially Makayla. So funny/cute! Good job on the hike. You all look great. Good to see a post from you guys. I hope you are surviving the summer heat down there.