When Erik left us behind to start his new job I didn't realize how much things would change. I mean it's a huge change to move from Oregon to Arizona and start all over again and remodel a house and play grown ups and all that stuff but there was an even bigger shock then all that.
Erik met some people while staying with his sister Kirsten. Especially one person in particular. They talked a lot. Erik became very interested in this person's point of view on items. He started reading books from this person and that's when things started changing.
Erik started giving me little hints that things were changing. He was feeling very different about some things. I nodded and said "uh-huh" when appropriate but didn't really think he was serious about any of it.
Little did I know that he was totally serious. He had decided that he wanted to become a.....
VEGETARIAN!!!!
He leaves for 2 months. I finally get my husband back and he's a vegetarian. Now I have to figure out how to cook vegetarian meals that I would actually eat as well. I already hate making dinner now this???? And coming from Oregon, I just view this whole thing as some hippies poisoning my husbands mind. *cyber snort* Tree huggers.
He informed me that becoming a vegetarian had nothing to do with animal cruelty or anything like that (if you know anything about Erik you'll know that he doesn't really care how animals are treated so this wasn't a real shock). He told me it had to do with the way the animals were fed, the chemicals injected into the meat, hormones in the meat, etc.
I have to admit, it was convincing to me. I don't like any of that stuff either but I don't want to be vegetarian. I like meat. I love hamburgers, and pepperoni pizza, and tacos, and shredded beef burritos. It goes on and on. I don't really want to be a vegetarian. But when it comes to eating something I see as harmful or being a veggie head......I'll give in and be a veggie head.
So for months we've been eating rice, beans, pasta, and vegetables. (and so you know a little about me, I don't like vegetables. Yes, I'm like the children and I prefer to not eat veggies. Sue me.) It hasn't been all that bad. Some getting used to but not too bad.
Then Erik comes home from work one day. He's been talking to someone else. Uh-oh. I'm digging in my heels if he wants to be vegan. I've given up meat I'm not giving up all things animal.
But no that's not it. He wants to buy a cow. Well, half a cow. We know what it's fed, no injections of any kind, and no hormones added. Plus it's all lean meat.
I'm so confused. But you know what, we haven't had any meat in the house for months. I'm not going to try and change his mind on this one. I sat there and asked questions about cost and "are you sure you want to do this?" like I should while leaping around in my head with joy. Meat! We can have meat!
So we did it. And this meat is waaaay better than anything bought in a store. I've put in my dues as a vegetarian and have been rewarded!

7 comments:
We bought a 3rd of a cow and the price was so much better than if we bought hormone free, grass fed beef at Trader Joes. We love it! I wish I could find chicken like that but instead I buy meat at Trader Joes. It beats never having a burger and eating Eggplant steak. Bleh!
Oh you are a very patient wife. I would have never dealt with that well. But yay for meat! (P.S. I totally am someone who knows all of the bad stuff they put in meat but chooses to stick my head in the sand about it. But now I want to buy a cow!)
I think the same thing about the chemicals in animals but I am not going to be a vegetarian. I would like to buy a cow and we have talked about it. I think it's a great idea.
I'm glad Erik came around... I was wondering what you were eating all the time.
This post of yours was so fun to stumble on this evening. Jas and I just purchased a CSA meat share, so we can get hormone free/organic, happily grazed and housed meat. We are making room in the freezer and getting ready for delivery. We're also organic with our milk and buying eggs from a local farmer, who raises happy, hormone-free hens. It's all pricey, but we feel so much better about what we are eating these days. Yipeee Witbecks! Now we don't feel like the only crazies in the family.
Glad to bring meat back to you!! We tease Erik at lunch with all the vegies!! I love vegies, but not like he does!!
So glad you all have meat for the family. Hope the kids learn to love it and eat it no matter how you fix it! I would love a steak whenever we can come and visit you!
Post a Comment