Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Run, Erik! Run!

Not too long ago, Erik was up and looking around on the computer. I was probably reading a book or something like that. Anyway, he casually says, "I think I want to do the Crater Lake half marathon." I think my only response was , "Uh-huh." You see, to me to run a marathon or half-marathon or even to run down the street is absolutely crazy. I'm not thinking he's really serious. No way would someone willingly want to put themselves through that kind of pain and torture. If I had gotten my nose out of the book and really thought about the man I married, I would've realized just how serious he was.

He signed up and set up a schedule to get in shape for the torment. Now the Crater Lake Rim Run is a pretty big deal around here. People come from all over the country to run in this race and it's all around a volcano that erupted, who knows how long ago, and is now a lake.

Now, the kids and I didn't actually get to see him run but we were with him in spirit! There were 133 people who ran the half-marathon and Erik placed 38th! That's pretty awesome to me. I feel so lucky to be married to someone who sets goals and works so hard to achieve those goals. What a great example to me and to our children. Great job Erik! We are soooo proud of you!

If you want to see the pictures of Erik running go HERE. I don't know how long those pictures will be up so look soon!

The drive to Crater Lake took us about 5 hours. We decided the best thing to do was to camp. I really have nothing against camping....honestly! But I think the last time we went camping together I was about 4 months pregnant with Preston. I'm just not that interested in taking little kids camping and staying up with them all night because they are too wired/cold/hungry/uncomfortable to sleep. The boys are at the age now that it's more fun to do these things but Makayla......not so much. I would still prefer to keep Makayla at home in her crib.

Oh well. We packed it up and made the trek.

I was so glad when Makayla finally slept. I made everyone be quiet as soon as she was out.


Crater Lake


This was the best we could do. I think the kids were done with the day.


Preston ran free while Bryce huddled close to the fire.


And everyone at s'mores until we groaned with stomach aches. All in all...not a bad trip. Maybe we'll try it again in another 6 years! :) Just kidding Erik!


***I decided to add the rest of the pictures but I think they're self explanatory so I'm not writing anything else...starting now.***

3 comments:

Josiah said...

awesome! Erik-- good for you for running! Rachel-- good for you for camping! :)

Valeni said...

What cute pictures and fun to hear your insights on the trip. Thanks for posting and wish I could get this computer to go faster so I could work with it better!

Katherine said...

What a fun family outing! Way to go, Erik! You still have it in you.