Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Our Grass

We are still renting. We would love to buy a house someday but it's just not in the budget as of yet. So we rent. This is the first place that we've had a yard. Albeit a small yard but non the less, a yard...with a deck that takes us half the yard.

I don't care. I love it, Erik loves it, the kids love it....it's PERFECT!

Well....except for the grass. Not so perfect. The previous tenants did nothing with the yard. And it showed. Part of the lease gives the responsibility of yard care to the tenant.

Us.

This will be our first lesson in yard care/management for our future purchase of a house. We will try new things and if we fail, oh well. We're just renting.


So first we start off with the problem. Our grass is actually moss. It's prevalent in the Pacific Northwest and really frustrating. Here is what our yard looked like after the moss killer was applied.

As you can see, not much grass is left.


Here's Erik stomping the seeds into the ground. He shoveled all the existing grass out, broke through some branches coming out of the ground, tilled the dirt with a rake (the one broken on the deck), put the seeds on the dirt, and proceeded to stomp on the seeds. I think next time we'll try and get the right equipment for the job.


So now we wait. Somethings gotta grow, right? Well, if it weren't for all the dang birds eating our seeds we'd have a lot more grass but I think it's turning out really well.




We even have some daffodils (I think?) growing.




I love our tree. And if your'e wondering what the kids are doing, we have a pond in our backyard. I am not a fan of the pond. It gives me one more thing to worry about while the kids are outside and I won't let Makayla out without me there with her. It was drained but Erik and the boys were intent on putting water and fish in it. So now it has water in it. No fish yet but it is a good spot now for suicidal mice since we've found some dead mice in it. But don't worry, what diseases could there possibly be in there with dead mice?

I finally think our yard is coming together all thanks to Erik's good work and my picture taking skills! Now we can finally have a yard for the kids to play in.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

How exciting to have a yard! The lawn looks great. Looks like all the hard work paid off!

Cecilee said...

Good job Erik! I am impressed. Yard work is HARD work. I'm glad you will have a yard for the kids this summer. Its so great to have a contained area for them to play.