Saturday, September 12, 2009

School

I have been excited and dreading the first day of school since Preston was born. I am a tad bit overprotective with the kids. I won't even try to deny it. I hate the idea of Preston, or any of the kids, going to spend their days with adults I don't know and around kids that could be just awful. I know we all went through it and some parts of my brain knows that the kids need these life experiences. Other parts of the brain, the illogical mother parts, are screaming at me to keep them as close to me at all times:

he could get hurt
what if they lose him?
what if he cries?
what if another kid picks on him?

It's all part of it. But through all my apprehension, Preston has been sooooo excited! Well, excited doesn't even begin to cover it. We've been marking the calendar every day leading up to the first day of school. Finally it arrived. We woke up early in the morning and made sure we had everything ready to go. I packed all the kids in the car and we were off. We walked into his classroom and he was in heaven! We looked around got him settled and I knew I had to leave. It was hard. No, excruciating. Heartbreaking. Nauseating. I hated leaving my little boy there. Hugs and kisses were given out by everyone and we left.

Ugh.

Once I got the others strapped in and we were going home, Bryce all the sudden breaks down. "Where is my brother?" "I miss Preston!" "Why did you leave him?" Double ugh.

I had planned on Preston taking the bus home but everything was all messed up with the buses so I decided to pick him up. Class gets out at 11 and it takes seriously 2 minutes to get there. We got there at exactly 11 and what is this? Preston is the only kid left sitting with his teacher. I am one of those parents that "forgets" their kid. Not a good impression.

All in all, we survived the first day of school. The only problem being that he has to continue to go. Triple ugh.

Preston loves it. Bryce hates it. I am torn. Makayla doesn't care. Erik is gone. The only thing left to say is that if anyone messes with him, I don't care how old you are, you better be able to outrun me because I will make you pay! Wow, that made me feel better!

Getting ready to go.


Now he's just waiting for me to leave.


4 comments:

Cecilee said...

Ohhhh! Preston is a cutie. What a big boy. I think all of us moms go through the same thing when leaving our babies for the first time. I went through it more with preschool and Jenna has been so bored at home that we welcomed something different to do. Atleast he likes it and he's not crying and upset when you leave him.

Mary said...

It is very hard!! Just wait you think you get used to it and then it is first grade and it is hard all over again!! Good Luck Momma!!

Carrie said...

oh BOY do I understand. But it will get better. I promise. (((HUGS)))

Valeni said...

I'm glad he wants to go and sounds like he is doing well. New experiences, new things to do....this is good. We have to trust other people and stay in touch with them so they can know we really care and want them to do the same...I can't wait to see you all and meet his teacher. just two weeks away...can't wait!!