Friday, February 17, 2012

Fruit and Smoothies

We have a cocktail tree in our front yard.  At first we were pretty stoked because we knew it had oranges in it but we weren't sure about the other side of the tree.  Turns out it's grapefruit.  Bleh.  We don't eat grapefruit so it was a little discouraging to find half our tree laden with fruit we couldn't stand.

But we (and when I say we I mean Erik) kept the tree healthy, fertilized and watered.  So for the past two years we have enjoyed fresh squeezed orange juice and a bunch of grapefruit that we have to pawn off to other people.


 This is was after we had unloaded a bunch of grapefruit on friends.  So. Much. Grapefruit.




These oranges may not be the most pretty oranges in the world but I'll be darned if they don't make the BEST orange juice EVER!


And what do you do with all that wonderful orange juice?  Smoothie time!  I realized one day that I don't eat vegetables.  At all.  So I did a little research on the most trusted site on the internet...Pinterest.  Now I am a green smoothie addict and I believe everyone should have a green smoothie addiction.

Here is my most favorite way to have a green smoothie:

1.  Ingredients: One frozen banana, 1/2 C plain greek yogurt, some o.j. (just enough to smooth it out), and a big handful of baby spinach leaves.



2.  Throw all that into your blender.


3. Liquify it until it the chunks of spinach are pretty well incorporated.

4.  Enjoy!


Let me tell you that you CANNOT taste any spinach flavor in this.  I was so skeptical about it but it is delicious!

Recipe #2:   One frozen banana, 1/2 C. plain greek yogurt, 1 Tbs. peanut butter,  some rice milk (or whatever milk you like), and hunking handful of baby spinach.  Blend and enjoy!

Now I like recipe #2 but it's not my favorite since I'm not huge on eating peanut butter.  You could just throw in a bunch of berries or whatever you want. Yum!

Now go eat your veggies!

2 comments:

Cecilee said...

Thanks for the reminder to make a green smoothie. They aren't my favorite color and I think that's why I am sometimes turned off by them.

The fruit from your tree looks awesome! I am soooo jealous. I also wish I could take some of those grapefruit off your hands. My girls LOVE grapefruit.... weird huh?

Valeni said...

Such fun pictures and I am motivated to try a "green smoothie." I'm buying the baby spinach today. Thanks for the example and hope all the kids will drink these along with you!